Thursday, December 15, 2005

Beneath this surface

The couch floats but the visible parts of the house are coming together.

But beneath...

When we lived in Boston, and mom and dad were grad students, we inherited a yellow Dodge Dart with brown rust spots, from my grandfather. In those Boston winters of the late 70's, the car required an umbrella, a prayer and - at stop lights where it was prone to stall whilst idling - choice words from dad to keep on moving. It was the bane of my young existence, perhaps the seedling of my still deep mistrust of cars.

Now I have a house that requires a hairdryer on winter mornings to keep the water moving out from the well-house, into the basement and up through my pipes. A hairdryer and a prayer - this old house takes me way back.

C - with water, now

No comments: